Hamas says it accepts cease-fire proposal; Israel approves Rafah invasion | USA TODAY

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Hamas says it accepts cease-fire proposal; Israel approves Rafah invasion | Avi Melamed’s insights quoted in this article by John Bacon Joey Garrison, Originally published in USA Today.

This article has already published in more that 225 other media and newspapers.


Hamas said Monday that it had accepted a Gaza cease-fire proposal from Egypt and Qatar, but Israel reacted coolly to the announcement and said its planned assault on the southern city of Rafah would proceed.

The militant group said its chief, Ismail Haniyeh, had informed Qatar’s prime minister and Egypt’s intelligence chief of its acceptance of their proposal. The announcement came hours after Palestinians were warned to evacuate parts of Rafah as Israel prepared for an attack certain to worsen an acute humanitarian crisis.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the new proposal was “far from Israel’s requirements.” Israel said the Rafah assault would go ahead − despite clear U.S. disapproval.

State Department spokesman Matt Miller said the Biden administration was reviewing the Hamas announcement and “will be discussing this response with our partners over the coming hours.”

Israel attacks Rafah:Hamas claims responsibility for deadly rocket strike

Earlier Monday, an Israeli official told Reuters the deal approved by Hamas appeared to be a softened version of an Egyptian proposal that included “far-reaching” conclusions that Israel could not accept. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the Hamas announcement could be a ruse to make Israel appear intransigent.

Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir described the announcement as a “trick.” “Hamas’ exercises and games have only one answer: An immediate order to occupy Rafah!” Ben-Gvir wrote on social media. “Increasing military pressure, and continuing the complete defeat of Hamas.”

Israel began its assault on Gaza in response to the Hamas-led rampage on Oct. 7, when almost 1,200 people were killed and more than 200 hostages taken, according to Israeli tallies. More than 34,600 Palestinians have been killed and more than 77,000 have been wounded, according to Gaza’s health ministry. A cease-fire that took place late last year resulted in the release of about 100 hostages.

Developments:

∎ Hamas said it had accepted a new cease-fire proposal put forward by Qatar and Egypt.

∎ Israel was cool to the new proposal and said its invasion of Rafah would proceed.

∎ Palestinian evacuees in Rafah were warned not to migrate toward the Egyptian or Israel borders. The announcements came one day after four Israeli soldiers were killed in a Hamas rocket attack just outside the city.

Jordan’s king says Rafah invasion could ‘lead to a new massacre’

Jordan’s King Abdullah II warned that an Israeli assault on Rafah, where more than 1 million Palestinians have taken refuge, “threatens to lead to a new massacre,” according to a statement posted on social media by the Royal Hashemite Court.

Abdullah met on Monday with President Joe Biden, where the two leaders affirmed their “commitment to working to reach a sustainable ceasefire” in Gaza, the royal court said.

Jordan is a key U.S. ally in the region. Last month, the Jordanian air force shot down dozens of Iranian drones headed for Israel as Tehran launched a massive revenge attack on its arch-enemy.

The White House wasn’t as publicly explicit in its concerns over the potential civilian toll of a Rafah operation. Earlier this year, Biden said it would be “catastrophic.” On Monday the White House would only say: “The President reiterated his clear position on Rafah” during a phone call with Netanyahu.

“Israel’s order for around 100,000 Palestinians in Gaza to evacuate ahead of an offensive in Rafah puts every single Palestinian in Gaza in grave danger,” the humanitarian group Oxfam said in a statement.

−Dan Morrison

Israel skeptical of new cease-fire proposal, full speed ahead on Rafah invasion

A statement from Netanyahu’s office released mid-afternoon in Washington dampened hopes for a pause in the seven-month conflict.

“Israel’s war cabinet has unanimously decided that Israel will continue the operation in Rafah to exert military pressure on Hamas to advance the release of our hostages, destroy Hamas’s military and governing capabilities, and ensure that Gaza does not pose a threat to Israel in the future,” the statement read.

“Meanwhile, even though the Hamas proposal is far from Israel’s requirements, Israel will send a delegation to mediators to exhaust the possibility of reaching an agreement under conditions acceptable to Israel.”

−Joey Garrison

Israeli evacuation announcement sends Palestinians into streets

About 100,000 Palestinians are believed to live in the evacuation area of Rafah. The Israeli military instructed residents to evacuate ahead of a “limited scope” operation. Rafah, a city of about 275,000 before the war, has been overwhelmed by up to a million additional residents who fled fighting elsewhere in the embattled enclave.

The Israeli military called on residents in the eastern neighborhoods of Rafah to “temporarily evacuate to the expanded humanitarian area” a few miles outside the city. The warnings were issued through text messages, phone calls and Arabic media broadcasts. Thousands of residents heeding the call were crowding streets with cars, pickups and mule-drawn carts, urged on by blasts heard across eastern parts of the city.

The White House issued a statement saying the administration made its opposition to a ground invasion of Rafah clear to the Israeli government.

“We continue to believe that a hostage deal is the best way to preserve the lives of the hostages, and avoid an invasion of Rafah, where more than a million people are sheltering,” the statement said. “Those talks are ongoing now.”

President Joe Biden and Netanyahu later spoke by phone, marking Holocaust Remembrance Day and discussing talks aimed at the release of Israeli hostages held by Hamas. The readout’s only mention of Rafah was that “the president reiterated his clear position on Rafah.”

US criticized for supporting Israeli military

Jan Egeland, secretary-general of the Norwegian Refugee Council, said Israel’s allies have failed to restrain “indiscriminate attacks” in Gaza for months and now have failed to prevent the war from spreading to a city that become “one of the largest displacement camps in the world.” Those allies, which include the U.S., provided Israel with arms and thus share the responsibility, he said.

Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri described the evacuation order as a “dangerous escalation” that would have consequences.

“The U.S. administration, alongside the occupation, bears responsibility for this terrorism,” he said.

Former Israeli intel official chastises West for criticisms

Former Israeli Intelligence official and regional analyst Avi Melamed said the evacuation orders are likely the first phase in a “slow and deliberate” Israeli assault on the city. In an email to USA TODAY, Melamed said Israel understands the “diplomatic challenges” and suggested the tempo of its operations will differ from the rapid attacks elsewhere in Gaza.

Israeli leaders hope the Rafah operation helps dismantle Hamas’ military infrastructure and capabilities while also increasing the pressure on Hamas leaders to sign a deal, Melamed said. He chastised the West for criticizing Israel’s military operations and said Hamas must be held accountable for its actions to encourage participation in a peace process.

“The diplomatic outcry by Western leaders in response to the evacuation orders illustrates why Hamas continues its firm opposition to meaningful compromise,” Melamed said. Hamas “knew and expected that any Israeli move toward Rafah would be met with public outcry.”

Columbia University cancels graduation ceremony

Columbia University, the epicenter for campus protests opposing Israel’s war in Gaza, announced Monday that it will not hold its main commencement ceremony following weeks of protests. In a news release, the university said it chose to make “school-level ceremonies” and other smaller celebrations the centerpiece of this year’s graduation instead of a “large, formal ceremony” originally scheduled for May 15.

“We will focus our resources on those school ceremonies and on keeping them safe, respectful, and running smoothly,” the university said, adding that a “festive event” may still take place next week.

Monday’s announcement came as universities continue to grapple with pro-Palestinian protests on campus. At Columbia, the New York Police Department made 112 arrests Tuesday while dismantling an encampment and ushering protesters out of an administration building.

Christopher Cann

EU calls on Israel to abandon ground invasion of Rafah

Israel’s warning on Rafah prompted a global outcry. European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell denounced Israel’s evacuation orders, saying they “portend the worst: more war and famine.” He called on Israel to drop plans for a ground offensive, saying the “international community can and must act to prevent such scenario.”

Jordan Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi also urged the world to act, warning that “another massacre of the Palestinians is in the making.”

“All must act now to prevent it. Failure to prevent the massacre will be an indelible stain on the international community,” he said. “Too many massacres have been allowed. Enough.”

UN agencies warn humanitarian crisis will worsen

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees warned that an Israeli offensive in Rafah would mean “more civilian suffering and deaths.” The consequences would be “devastating” for 1.4 million people, the agency said in a statement. Director Philippe Lazzarini urged both sides to reach agreement on a cease-fire or risk an expansion of the “already man-made famine.”

“UNRWA is not evacuating,” the statement said. “The agency will maintain a presence in Rafah as long as possible and will continue providing lifesaving aid to people.”

UNICEF warned that a “military besiegement and ground incursion” in Rafah would pose catastrophic risks to the 600,000 children sheltering there. Many already are injured, sick, malnourished, traumatized or living with disabilities, UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell said.

“Many have been displaced multiple times and have lost homes, parents and loved ones,” Russell said. “They need to be protected.”

‘There are no safe zones in Gaza’

“A military offensive through Rafah risks becoming the deadliest phase of the horrific war in Gaza,” Egeland said, adding that neighboring areas are destroyed or so overcrowded they cannot handle the influx of evacuees.

The aid agency ActionAid warned of “catastrophic consequences” and urged the international community to “act swiftly to prevent further atrocities.”

“Our aid workers are reporting some of the most severe conditions in recent memory with widespread disease, starvation and chaos,” the agency said in a statement. “Let us be clear, there are no safe zones in Gaza.”


Hamas says it accepts cease-fire proposal; Israel approves Rafah invasion | Avi Melamed’s insights quoted in this article by John Bacon Joey Garrison, Originally published in USA Today.

If you want to have a better understanding of the news and what really drives the unfolding events… Read the latest book of Avi Melamed,
INSIDE THE MIDDLE EAST | ENTERING A NEW ERA, available now >>>

Follow me on Twitter @AviMelamed; Facebook @InsideTheMiddleEast; for more Videos on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/AviMelamed

I can always be reached at Av*@Av********.com

Avi Melamed
Avi Melamedhttps://insidethemiddle-east.com
Avi Melamed is an expert on current affairs in the Arab & Muslim World and their impact on Israel & the Middle East. A former Israeli Intelligence Official & Senior Official on Arab Affairs, Fluent in Arabic, English, and Hebrew, he has held high-risk Government, Senior Advisory, Intelligence & Counter-Terrorist intelligence positions in Arab cities & communities - often in very sensitive times - on behalf of Israeli Government agencies. He is the Founder & CEO of Inside the Middle East | Intelligence Perspectives - an apolitical non-partisan curriculum using intelligence methodology to examine the Middle East. As an Author, Educator, Expert, and Strategic Intelligence Analyst, Avi provides Intelligence Analysis, Briefings, and Geopolitical Tours to diplomats, Israeli and foreign policymakers, global media outlets, and a wide variety of international businesses, organizations, and private clients on a range of Israel and Middle East Affairs.

JOIN THE HUB Newsletter

BUY THE BOOK

New book by Avi Melamed, acclaimed intelligence & geopolitical analyst - Inside the middle east | Entering a new era | published in 2022

MORE FROM ITME

In northern Israel, farmers struggle on in fear of Hezbollah attack | FRANCE 24

Avi Melamed’s insights quoted in “In northern Israel, farmers struggle on in fear of Hezbollah attack", an article on FRANCE 24 (by AFP). Images taken...

Former IDF intelligence official visiting St. Louis to talk next stages in Israel-Hamas war | St LOUIS JEWISH LIGHT

Former IDF intelligence official visiting St. Louis to talk next stages in Israel-Hamas war | Article by Jordan Palmer, Chief Digital Content Officer for...

Lebanese Border

THE LEBANESE BORDER This OUTDOOR BRIEFING / INTEL-EDVENTURE takes place in NORTHERN ISRAEL on the ISRAELI-LEBANESE BORDER Number of Locations |...

Israel to comb through Rafah ‘inch by inch’ to eliminate Hamas’s final four battalions | EXPRESS UK

Israel to comb through Rafah 'inch by inch' to eliminate Hamas's final four battalions | Avi Melamed’s insights quoted by Aurora Bosotti for the...

Israeli forces push deeper into Gaza as invasion expands, risks multiply | WASHINGTON POST

Avi Melamed’s insights quoted in “Israeli forces push deeper into Gaza as invasion expands, risks multiply", an article by Loveday Morris for the WASHINGTON...